Title: RYA Marine Radio SRC – BYC
Location: Ballyholme Yacht Club
Link out: Click here
Description: RYA Marine Radio SRC (Short Range Certificate.)
The Short Range Certificate is the minimum qualification required by law to control the operation of VHF and VHF Digital Selective Calling (DSC) equipment on any British flagged vessel voluntarily fitted with a radio. This includes both fixed and hand held equipment using International channels.
A radio is an important piece of safety equipment on board and it is vital to understand the correct procedures. Unnecessary transmissions could block out a Mayday distress call.
All new VHF sets are either fitted, or can be interfaced, with DSC allowing calls to specific vessels. If you hold the ‘old’ VHF licence (pre-1999) you need to upgrade your qualification if you purchase new equipment. This can be done by attending this one-day course or, if no tuition is required, you can enter for direct examination.
Course topics include:
- the basics of radio operation
- the correct frequencies (channels) to be used
- distress, emergency and medical assistance procedures
- making ship to shore telephone calls
- Digital Selective Calling (DSC) using simulators
- Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS)
- Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRB)
- Search and Rescue (SART)
The course will be taught and examined using radio simulators. The exam will also include a short written test.
RYA Marine Radio SRC Cost
BYC Members £65 & £60 cheque made to RYA for licence
Visitors £75 & £60 cheque made to RYA for licence
Start Date: 2014-11-08
End Date: 2014-11-09